Lab: Configuring SharePoint Online
Exercise 1: Configuring SharePoint Online settings
Task 1: Configure settings
- Ensure you are signed in to the LON-CL1 virtual machine as Beth Burke.
- In Microsoft Edge open https://portal.office.com.
- Sign in as [email protected], replacing yyxxxxx with your unique Adatum number, with the password you created in Module 1.
- In the Office 365 portal, select Admin.
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, expand Admin centers, and then select SharePoint.
- Select Classic SharePoint admin center then select settings.
- Next to Site Collection Storage Management, select Automatic.
- Scroll down to Enterprise Social Collaboration.
- Select Use Yammer.com service.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select OK.
Task 2: Configure user profiles
- Select Classic SharePoint admin center then select user profiles.
- Under People, select Manage User Profiles.
- In the Find profiles dialog box, type Ada, and then select Find.
- In the result window, select the Profile for Ada Russell.
- From the drop-down list under Account name, select Edit My Profile.
- In the Manager box, enter Beth.
- Select the check names field and verify that the field displays Beth Burke. You may need to click the name because Beth has two profiles. Select the second profile that is connected to the onmicrosoft.com account.
- Select Save and Close.
- Select user profiles.
- Under My Site settings, select Setup My Sites.
- Scroll down to My Site Cleanup.
- In the Secondary Owner list, type Beth, and then select the Checknames icon. Select the name and then select the second profile listed.
- Scroll down, and then select OK.
Task 3: Configure apps
- On the Classic SharePoint admin center page, select apps, and then select Configure Store Settings.
- Under Apps for Office from the Store, select No to disable apps from starting when documents are opened in the browser.
- Select OK, and then close the browser.
Result: After completing this exercise, you should have configured SharePoint Online service settings.
Exercise 2: Creating and configuring SharePoint Online site collections
Task 1: Create a site collection using the SharePoint admin center
- In Microsoft Edge, open https://portal.office.com and sign-in with the user name [email protected], replacing yyxxxxx with your unique Adatum number, and the password you created in Module 1.
- In the Office 365 portal, select Admin and in the Microsoft 365 Admin center, expand Admin centers, and then select SharePoint.
- Select Classic SharePoint admin center then select site collections.
- On the Site Collections ribbon, select New, and then select Private Site Collection.
- In the new site collection dialog box, in the Title dialog box, type marketing.
- In the Type a site collection URL name box, enter marketing.
- In the administrator list, type Beth and then select the Check Names icon. Select Beth and then select the second profile listed.
- Leave the other settings as suggested and select OK.
Note: SharePoint Online provisions the new marketing site. This process can take a few minutes.
- After marketing is created, select the https://Adatumyyxxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/marketing check box, where yyxxxxx is your unique Adatum number.
- When the marketing site is selected, on the ribbon, select Sharing.
Note: It can take a few minutes until the Sharing menu on the ribbon is active. You can speed this up by refreshing the page by pressing the F5 key.
- In the sharing dialog box, select Allow sharing with all external users, and by using anonymous access links, and then select Save.
Note: The site settings changes to allow external user sharing. This process is usually done within one minute. Now, external user sharing is enabled and you can use it for this marketing site.